Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I have been struggling lately with the fact that so many people do not believe in God. Why that is my worry is beyond me. I think I find it hard to find my place in what God wants me to do though. I really do not want to be "that Christian" that people avoid because I preach to them. Quite frankly, I'd rather teach others about my religion by showing them in my actions, rather than take out a bible and start reciting the Nicene Creed.

Recently I watched Bill Maher on The View talk about his anti-religious movie her made called 'Religulous'. Here's a clip.



What an awful human being. I am all for differing opinions and keeping things interesting, however, what in the world? I guess my thing is, so what if people believe that Noah's Ark is literal? That is how I was brought up and what I believe and some guy on some catty talk show is not going to get me to 'rethink' my belief. Here's my question though... for those of you who have no belief system, those of you who simply do not believe in God, where do you go for comfort? Especially in a world that is so unstable right now... it is so disheartening to me to see so many people say 'I do not believe in God' and not think another thing of it. I cannot wrap my mind around it and maybe I am extremely sheltered (and I fully admit that I am). I can't imagine not having God to go to, to say a prayer to, to help me out, to be there for me. People are not going to be there for you all the time. Unfortunately, it's true. When you have absolutely no one else, who is going to be there and help you out? I wish someone could answer that. I am all for critical and intelligent thinking but sometimes, it gets out of control. There doesn't have to be a reason for everything in regards to God. And for those who "challenge" Christians and ask why they believe in God at all, especially after seeing all of the hate in this world, I will tell them "I would much rather believe in God and look like an idiot in the end if, for some odd reason I am wrong. But you could not pay me all the money in the world to risk my life in thinking there is no God. I'd rather look stupid than BE stupid and not believe in God."

I wish I was smarter in things like religion and politics although I think religion and politics are vastly similar to each other. It would be useless for me to sit in front of an atheist and try to get them to convert to Christianity. Just like it would be useless for me to sit in front of a Democrat Obama supporter and try to get them to vote for McCain. It is like talking to a soundproof wall; nothing goes through.

Maybe I'll pray about finding a bible study to join at church but I'm kind of in that odd stage between college and adult. Plus I'm shy around new people so majority of my concerns/questions would probably be hidden because I don't speak up. My heart hurts for people who do not know God. I hope something in their lives change for them to give Him the chance. :-(

No comments: