Monday, May 9, 2011

Final Simulation- Check!

Yes ladies and gentlemen, you're looking at a crisp, brand new pink slip from simulation today. I got to campus around 730am even though my scheduled time was not until 0940. When I had gotten there, there were a few people that were not there yet (even though they were the first people to go) so they started taking people that were there early. The funny thing was I got there early because of that reason; I wanted to go early to get it over with because I'm pretty sure my heart was going to beat out of my chest and every time someone mentioned 'sim', my stomach churned. But I ran off. LOL I had JUST gotten there and needed to breathe aka I'm a chicken. ;-) It's ok though because I actually ended up going earlier than my time anyway at 0830. I was done by 0940 which was great. 

The sim went pretty well and was set up as follows: they brought us into the hospital three at a time and we listened to report using headphones on three patients; an OB patient, a Pediatric patient and a Med Surg patient and had to choose the priority patient based on the report by the "night nurse" which we listened to on the computer. My priority patient was the OB patient (yay!) so I looked at the MAR for her meds ordered and her chart and then proceeded to the room. It went pretty well; I figured the scenario would be a full bladder causing her to hemorrhage which it was. I had to straight cath the patient which, as you can see, was my pink slip moment. I contaminated my sterile field but verbalized it so that was fine... she said she was giving me the pink slip because I just need to work on my organization for straight cath (well, when the mannequin cannot move her legs and you try to move plastic legs, it makes for a hard area to work in a sterile field). Whatevs, I can always use the practice. I think everyone that came out of the OB sim got a pink slip LOL Me thinks that's not just on the students... eh? The instructor that was in the room with me said she was really impressed with my communication and how calm and focused I remained throughout the whole sim, regardless of anxiety my patient was displaying so that was really nice. She also said I was the first person to get the Pitocin rate correct :-D and honestly I have no idea where I pulled that from. LOL It said Pit was to run at 10ml/min so when she asked me what I'd set the pump at, I thought about it and knew it would be a large amount of Pit to contract the uterus so I said 600ml. She almost jumped up and down. Hahaha... that was a God moment because I literally just blurted it out. 

Anyway, it's over with and I'm pleased. I knew going into it I'd be getting a pretty piece of paper, along with 20 other people so I'm A-OK with it. We'll all be called The Pink Ladies. :)

Here's what the facesheets for simulation looked like (the backs just have the medication information and assessment I'd do)



















Now I focus on Peds and some of Med Surg. I feel like 10 lbs is lifted from my shoulders. Praise the LORD.

No comments: