Friday, May 7, 2010

Closer to the storm.

Because of my awesome friends and their many prayers, I got a B on my last official "test" of NUR 111. Now I have my final to study for but more importantly, the skills testing I have on Monday at 4:30pm. I am trying not to think about it too much because my nerves will take over my reasonableness. I've practiced and am pretty confident on most things... what else can I do? I'll go to practice one last time tomorrow morning from 10am-1pm. Had clinical yesterday and had a woman that was in a car accident back in Feb. Was thrown out of the car after she took her seatbelt off to get something from her purse. The car rolled two times and landed on top of the woman. She broke 24 bones and has numerous other issues. Lots of craziness.

It's interesting. the people you expect to "check up" on you, make sure you're ok or just simply say 'thinking about you' don't yet the people you'd never expect to do that, do. Makes you think. While I was in the lab practicing today, the student who was playing my patient the second room I went to, came over to me and said "I just want to say that I was very impressed by you during your simulation and that you're going to make an outstanding nurse". I could have cried. It was beyond nice of her to say that and I was speechless. I managed a 'thank you very much for saying that' and smiled. I really wanted to just hug her. I got a card from Jane, of encouragement a few days ago. It was very sweet. And I'm beyond grateful to my friends that listen to me vent. I know it can get old but it makes me feel a little better to get it out. To be honest, people can pretend to know what nursing students go through but until you've been there, you have no clue. It's different than anything I've ever done. It's different than anything anyone in that program has ever done. The stress level is beyond measure. I still try to be there for everyone as best I can... I hate that I can't do more things for people simply because I do not have the time. Yesterday after clinical, I scarfed down a sandwich on my way home, showered (again), went to the best doughnut shop around here and bought 2 dozen doughnuts for the nurses at work since it's Nurses Week, stopped at Walmart to get a pedometer for work and picked up something to have for dinner since we have no time to go to the cafeteria.. got to work at 2:40pm. 20 minutes to spare. Barely because I had to change in my scrubs and go to the unit. By that time, it was time to punch in. Exhaustedness. At this point, I just want to sleep. :(

No comments: