Thursday, April 1, 2010

Clinical Day 2 First Semester

Have I mentioned that me and 5am are not friends? When I get home at 1:30pm, I am exhausted... not to mention today I didn't get home until 3:30pm because of a meeting on my unit for regular work. I could not keep my eyes open!


Anyway, my patient today was a little more challenging than 2 weeks ago (and I should have known that since I was saying how 'normal' my patient was for me last time being a gyne patient, which is something I am used to). I had a 65 year old man whose dx was colon cancer (or adenocarcinoma of the rectum). He had surgery this past week on complete resectioning of the sigmoid colon, an appendectomy and a urethral stent. Upon all of that, he had a foley cath, a PICC line, an NG tube, TPN Hyperale and JP drains. I didn't know where to start! I was in his room from 0745-0930 and our head to toe assessments were due at 0930. Luckily our instructor is pretty lax about those... I think she saw I was busy so she didn't mention it and I handed it in during post conference. I gave him a sponge bath, changed his bed linens, did vitals, head to toe assessment, walked with him in the halls and talked with him. I felt so bad for him... that NG tube never looks good. It's awful. Overall, it was fine. The time flew by because I was so busy. But for now, I can't even keep my eyes open and it's off to bed I go... even though it's only 9pm. How sad... I can't even stay up to complete my clinical evaluation and will have to do it in the morning. Good night!

No comments: