Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I hope I don't eat my words....

...but second semester seems like it may be a good one. I did hear the word 'simulation' though which sent anxiety shooting through my body as well as palpitations and just plain scary feelings. LOL But one day at a time.

My Psych professor is super sweet and nice, almost overly nice, but just makes you feel comfortable. I love it! We have our first clinical tomorrow morning from 8-1:30pm but it's just orientation to the mental health unit. Clinical is going to be much different these next 8 weeks compared to last semester, for sure. We have to wear business attire (which I'm already flipping out about... now I have to figure out what to wear!), flat shoes (you know, so when we're being chased by someone who has schizophrenia, we have good traction on our shoes... heh), no earrings (not even post earrings because if a patient hits your ear, it could puncture an artery... fab!), necklaces or ties so that the patients don't choke us. I am SUPER pumped. :-\ Anyway, no stethoscopes, writing utensils, books etc. Just a folder. So weird! I almost feel naked. 
Physical Assessment was ok as well except for the fact that during lecture about the class, the professor talked to us about "appropriate clothing" for the class which included sports bras, bathing suits or bathing suit tops, cami tanks and shorts or baggy sweat pants because we'll be assessing each other. *running to look up grapefruit diet so my partner doesn't want to shoot her eyes out after assessing me*. Ay! Not thrilled with that at all. There's little simulations after each class on whatever body system we've learned for that class that we must pass. That's a little scary but I actually think it might help me in the long run if we do it every week, I may get used to being watched and that might make the other simulations a little less anxiety-filled. At least, I hope! I am not thrilled though that this class is only at 5p-7:40p and that that was the only time we could sign up... that is RIGHT in the middle of dinner time and I take that seriously. :-P I just don't like being at school so late however, looking at the positive, since we have class Tuesday mornings until noon, staying there to eat lunch and then using the afternoon to practice may be beneficial. Tuesdays will just be school days, I guess from 8a-8p. Yay for 12 hour school days. :-( 

One day down, 105 to go! Oy!

4 comments:

Moo G Clips said...

yay, it updated for me! you'll get through this semester in no time!

Amanda said...

I am so glad it works now! And thanks! I sure hope so. After this semester, it'll just be like the past 2 semesters all over and then graduation. :-) I feel like the little engine that could.. trying to get up that hill. Hahaha dramatic much? ;-)

Holly said...

Wait, so you should wear the sorts bra, etc., to class, or you shouldn't? Why do you have to assess each other's clothes? I know you will be fine.

Amanda said...

Nope you read that correctly, Holly. SHOULD. LOL It's not the clothes we're assessing, it's the person's body. So the less clothes we wear, the easier it is for the partner to see on their partner's body. SOOOO uncomfortable. I almost feel like it's illegal. :-P LOL